Skip to main content

PLAB Test to practice medicine in the UK

UK medical schools are among the most prestigious in the world and attract thousands of international students every year. Its hospitals and other clinical settings are renowned for the quality of their teaching and their influential medical research. In the UK, medical training will equip with practical experience as well as professional practice.

Why study medicine in the United Kingdom?
  • UK medicine is respected worldwide and UK qualifications are widely accepted.
  • UK undergraduate medical schools take 7.5 per cent of their intake from overseas.
  • Many overseas doctors come to the UK every year to benefit from postgraduate training.
  • There are well-established postgraduate training routes for international students and postgraduate training can lead to membership or fellowship of prestigious professional societies and colleges.
  • One-year pre-medicine courses are available for those with high-grade passes in arts subjects who want to study medicine.
  • Regulatory and professional bodies, such as the General Medical Council (GMC) and the General Dental Council (GDC), oversee training in the UK.
  • Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, expressed as MB ChB. But all courses must comply with the demands of the General Medical Council (GMC).
Length of the course:
Usually five years, but it can be six if you take an intercalated degree. In order to complete basic medical education in UK, you must also complete a period of foundation training for two years – known as F1 and F2.

Postgraduate doctor in the UK
Any Postgraduate courses that have a clinical component may require registration with the General Medical Council (GMC). Information about registration with the GMC is available on its website at
The National Advice Centre for Postgraduate Medical Education (NACPME) is an information service for overseas-qualified doctors who wish to train in the UK. NACPME can be accessed at

UK medical schools:
  • Aberdeen (University of), School of Medicine
  • Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London
  • Birmingham (University of), School of Medicine
  • Brighton and Sussex Medical School
  • Bristol (University of), Faculty of Medicine
  • Cambridge (University of), School of Clinical Medicine
  • Cardiff University, School of Medicine
  • Dundee (University of), Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing
  • Edinburgh (The University of), College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
  • Exeter (University of), Medical School
  • Glasgow (University of), Faculty of Medicine
  • Hull York Medical School
  • Imperial College School of Medicine, London
  • Keele University, School of Medicine
  • King's College London School of Medicine (at Guy's, King's College and St Thomas' Hospital)
  • Leeds (University of), School of Medicine
  • Leicester (University of), Leicester Medical School
  • Liverpool (University of), Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
  • London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Postgraduate Medical School)
  • Manchester (University of), Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences
  • Newcastle University Medical School
  • Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia
  • Nottingham (The University of), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
  • Oxford (University of), Medical Sciences Division
  • Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
  • Queen's University Belfast, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
  • Sheffield (The University of), School of Medicine
  • Southampton (University of), School of Medicine
  • St Andrews (University of), Faculty of Medical Sciences
  • St George's, University of London
  • Swansea University, School of Medicine
  • University College London, University College Medical School
  • Warwick (The University of), Warwick Medical School
Getting registered with a license to practice in UK:
To obtain registration with a license to practice you need to provide:
  • Acceptable primary medical qualifications
  • English language capability
  • Registration and licensing history
  • Certificates of good standing
  • Knowledge and skills
  • Experience
English language capability
This will normally be demonstrated by achieving the required results in the academic version of the IELTS test: a minimum score of 7 in all areas of the test (speaking, reading, writing and listening).

Registration and Licensing history
You will have to provide details of your registration or licensing for all the medical regulatory authorities of any countries where you have practiced or held registration or a licence in the last five years.

Certificates of Good Standing
You will need to provide a Certificate of Good Standing (CGS) from each of the medical regulatory authorities that you have listed.

Knowledge and skills

A pass in the PLAB test

A pass in the PLAB test is only valid for three years. Therefore, you must gain registration with a license to practice within three years of your PLAB 2 exam or you will need to re-sit the PLAB test.

To apply for full registration with a license to practice you must have satisfactorily completed Year 1 of the Foundation programme (F1) in the UK, or a period of pre-graduate or postgraduate clinical experience outside the EEA. This period of clinical experience is usually referred to as an internship.
Published date : 19 Jun 2013 03:24PM

Photo Stories