Skip to main content

Visa Procedure to study in Canada

Depending on the type and length of study, you may require:
  • A temporary resident visa
  • A study permit The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study:
  • Any study program of up to six months: no study permit is required
  • Programs longer than six months require a study permit
If you will be studying in a program of six months or less, but think you may continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. If you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.

How to apply for visa
  1. Obtain visa application package.
    The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
  2. Read the guide.
    Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible for a temporary resident visa before you apply.
  3. Complete the application forms and attach the necessary documents.
  4. Pay the fee and get the necessary receipt.
  5. Submit the application forms and necessary documents.
When you have completed the application forms, make sure you sign and date them, and that all required documents and fees are included in the envelope. In most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. You must send your application to the Canadian visa office in the country or region where you live. Check the guide in your application package for instructions.

Documents required for applying visa
  • Completed Student Application form.
  • Completed Supplementary Questionnaire for students and postdoctoral researchers.
  • Proof of acceptance by an approved educational institution. The following information must be included in letters of acceptance: name, date of birth, mailing address of student; the course for which the student has been accepted; the estimated duration or date of completion of the course; the date on which the course begins; the last date on which the student must register for the course; the academic year which the student will be entering; whether the course is full or part-time; the tuition fee; any conditions related to acceptance; clear identification of the educational institution; and licensing information for private institutions. This letter must be signed by an authorized representative of the institution.
  • TOEFL/IELTS scores if applicable
  • Proof of identity: This includes photocopies of a valid passport or travel document or identity document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it; and two recent passport-size photos (2" x 2.5").
  • Proof of financial support that shows you will have enough money during your stay in Canada to cover tuition fees, return transportation and $10,000 CDN per annum for living expenses. Documentation for this requirement could be proof of a Canadian bank account or a bank draft in convertible currency, bank statements for the past four to six months, or proof of payment of tuition and residence fees.
  • Bank Draft for the applicable visa processing fees
  • A medical examination in your country of origin. Medical exams are required if your stay is longer than six months and you come from a country with high health risks or will be studying or working in a place where protection of public health is essential.
Published date : 25 Nov 2010 02:44PM

Photo Stories