29th June, 2022 Current Affairs
Honey Testing Lab in Nagaland inaugurated by Union Agriculture Minister
- During his visit to Nagaland, the Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar, officially inaugurated the Dimapur Honey Testing Laboratory. The honey testing facility will support beekeepers and producers in testing their produced honey. At the North-East Agri Expo, Chumaokedlma, Tomar was attending an event. Among others, G. Kaito, the Nagaland Agriculture Minister, Chief Secretary J. Alam, and Central Horticulture Commissioner Prabhat Kumar attended the ceremony.
- When it comes to overall growth, the Northeast Region cannot be ignored. Therefore, the government aims to make the north east region self-sufficient through its plans, initiatives, funds, and institutions
Togo and Gabon become Commonwealth Association members
- The Commonwealth of Nations now has 56 member nations after the admission of Togo and Gabon. The two historically French-speaking nations were formally admitted to the union at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, which was presided over by Rwandan President Paul Kagame in Kigali, the country’s capital.
- According to Patricia Scotland, the organization’s secretary-general, admission is determined by evaluations of a number of standards, including the democratic process, effective leadership, and rule of law.
Conclusion of G7 meeting in Germany
- At the G7 meeting in Germany, United States and other major nations came to an agreement at their summit’s conclusion to concentrate on China‘s growing threats, despite the fact that the three-day G7 meeting’s most pressing issue was Russia’s conflict in Ukraine.
- In a communique, the Group of Seven countries articulated a strategy for challenging Beijing regarding its economic policies and human rights violations.
G 7 Countries:
- The United Kingdom
- The United States
Mukesh Ambani Resigns, Akash Ambani is New Jio Chairman
- Mukesh Ambani’s eldest son Akash Ambani will take over as chairman of Jio Infocomm’s board, the digital division of Reliance industries, in what is viewed as the 65-year-old billionaire’s succession planning. Mukesh Ambani has resigned as the company director effective from 27 June.
- Pankaj Mohan Pawar was among the other selections made, and his five-year term as managing director began on 27 June. KV Chowdary and Raminder Singh Gujral were named independent directors.
Dhanalakshmi becomes 3rd fastest Indian woman in 200m
- Ace sprinter Sekar Dhanalakshmi ran her personal best time to win 200m gold at the Qosanov Memorial Athletics. Dhanalakshmi ran a creditable sub-23 second, clocking 22.89s to better her earlier personal best of 23.14s she had come up last year. Dhanalakshmi is only the third Indian woman to run sub-23s after national record holder Saraswati Saha (22.82s) and Hima Das (22.88s).
- Dhanalakshmi had won a 200m gold in the national Inter-Sate Championships in Chennai earlier this month with a time of 23.27s. She missed the automatic qualification mark of 22.80s for World Championships (July 15 to 24) in Oregon, USA, but will have to see if she can make it to the showpiece through world ranking quota.
Navjeet Dhillon wins gold medal in discus throw at Qosanov Memorial 2022
- Indian women’s discus thrower, Navjeet Dhillon won the gold medal at the Qosanov Memorial 2022 athletics meet in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Navjeet Dhillon, who is looking to seal her place in the Indian team for Commonwealth Games, won the women’s discus throw with a 56.24m effort. Local athlete Karina Vasilyeva with 44.61m and Uzbekistan’s Yulianna Shchukina with 40.48m followed Navjeet Dhillon on the podium.
- Overall India won 14 medals on the day, including seven golds. Tokyo Olympian Dhanalakshmi Sekar will also be among the top Indian athletes competing today at the Qosanov Memorial 2022 athletics, which is a World Athletics bronze-level event.
IWF chooses Mohammed Jalood as President 2022
- The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) believes that substantial progress has been made in enhancing the culture and leadership of the sport.
- Mohammed Jalood has been elected as the organization’s president, and 11 additional new members have been added to its Executive Board, according to a press release from Tirana, Albania, which hosted both the Special & Electoral Congress and the recently concluded European Weightlifting Championships.
IRARC’s Avinash Kulkarni to head India Debt Resolution Company
- The chief govt of India Resurgence Asset Reconstruction Firm (IRARC), Avinash Kulkarni, has been chosen to head the India Debt Decision Firm (IDRCL). Kulkarni is a (SBI) veteran, having undertaken numerous roles on the public sector behemoth.
- His engagements on the SBI group have included assignments within the funding banking and advisory arm, Capital Markets.
- Kulkarni’s appointment follows another SBI veteran Natarajan Sundar being selected as CEO of the National Asset Reconstruction Company Limited (NARCL) in April. Sundar took over as the CEO at the end of May. Both appointments now mean that the key executive leadership to run the government-backed ARC is in place.
IRS Officer Nitin Gupta named as the new chairman of CBDT
- IRS officer Nitin Gupta has been appointed as the new Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) chairman. Gupta, an Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer of the 1986 batch of the Income Tax cadre, is serving as the Member (investigation) in the Board and is scheduled to retire in September next year.
- The post of the CBDT chief was being held in an additional capacity by Board member and 1986-batch IRS officer Sangeeta Singh after J B Mohapatra retired on April 30. The CBDT is headed by a Chairman and can have six members who are in the rank of special secretary.