Skip to main content

Agricultural Engineering

India is one of the leading agricultural countries in the world. Agriculture plays an important role in driving the state of Indian economy.
Mechanization of agricultural work, irrigation, drainage and post harvest technology are some of the main concepts dealt in Agricultural Engineering. The job of an agricultural engineer is to develop agricultural production by means of better engineering technologies, equipments, methods and inventions.

Candidates must have passed intermediate with MPC group. The selection will be based on EAMCET rank. 60% of the seats will be filled through EAMCET rank and the Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University under farmers’ quota will fill remaining 40% seats. A separate notification will be released to fill farmers’ quota seats.

Higher Education:
Candidates can pursue M.Tech in IITs choosing farm machinery, agriculture process and food engineering or agro energy as specializations. The candidates qualified in All India Entrance Examination for Admission to Master’s (AIEEA-PG) Degree Programmes can avail JRF while pursuing M.Tech.

  • Farm Machinery and Power
  • Soil and Water Engineering
  • Agriculture Process and Food Engineering
  • Agro Energy
  • Crop Production
  • Dairy Management
  • Agricultural Economics
  • Post-Harvest Technology
  • Irrigation and Drainage Systems Engineering
Job Prospects:
India currently needs lot of Agricultural engineers and scientists. Agricultural engineers are in high demand in Irrigation and Micro irrigation companies, Tractor manufacturing, Agricultural accessories manufacturing, Pumps and Motors manufacturing industries and processing industries. Assistant and Executive engineers are required in Govt. departments like Irrigation, watershed management and rural development.

Top companies offering jobs
  • Mahindra and Mahindra
  • John Deer
  • TAFE
  • Pioneer Seeds
  • Eicher Motors Ltd.
  • Monsanto
  • Texmo
  • Netafim
  • Jain Irrigation
  • Plastro irrigation
Job profiles:
  • Product design engineers
  • Processing and sales executives
  • Scientist
  • Researcher
  • Farm Manager
  • Project coordinators
  • Faculty jobs
The remuneration in government sectors for agricultural engineers is Rs. 15,000 - Rs 25,000 per month depending upon their positions. Graduates working in private sector can earn around Rs 25,000 - Rs 35,000 per month.

Other famous institutes offering Agricultural Engineering in India

  • Anna University
  • College of Agricultural Engineering & Post Harvest Technology, Central Agricultural University
  • Punjab Agricultural University
  • Tamilnadu Agricultural University
  • University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore

Dr. M V Ramana,
Associate Dean,
College of Agricultural Engineering,
Published date : 20 Jun 2015 05:10PM

Photo Stories