You can do online degree courses from home
At the national level, UGC had given permission to 38 universities to conduct online degree and PG courses. Let’s know about the policy, courses, universities etc.
Online Education is now familiar to everyone. Online Classes are going for KG to PG level. Till the recent past, KG to PG courses are regular classes. But now everything is online. Students who are unable to attend classes directly due to the corona can gain subject knowledge by online classes. Now UGC is providing an opportunity to get online degrees, you can get admission in the respective courses online. Just, attend the classes online and you can get full degree and PG degree. University Grants? Commission? UGC (Open and Distance Learning Programs and Online Programs) Regulations - 2020 have recently issued guidelines.
UGC has sanctioned a total of 38 universities to offer Bachelor's Degree and Post Graduate Degree programs in full online mode. These include Central Universities, State Universities, Deemed to be Universities, and Private Universities. From the Telugu states, permission has been granted to Andhra University in Andhra Pradesh along with two other Deemed Universities and one Deemed University in Telangana.
Traditional? to professional? courses
UGC also offers traditional degree courses as well as professional courses online. At the bachelor? level courses like BBA, BCA, BA and at the PG level, these universities have the opportunity to offer professional programs such as MBA and MCA in addition to MA. Bachelor’s and masters’ courses with the latest specializations in Business Analytics, Data science and Digital Marketing are also offered.
The choice of varsities is as follows
The UGC has set specific criteria for selecting and approving universities to offer degree and PG courses online.
- Universities should have been recognized by NAC, with a score of 3.26 on 4.0 point scale in NAC grading. (Or)
- Only universities that have been in the top-100 list at least twice in the last three years are eligible for admission in the National Institute of Ranking Framework (NIRF).
- Universities approved for ODL programs can also apply until 2019–20. These varsities are required to provide certifications in a specific format. The UGC has approved 38 universities nationally, based on various criteria.
- Each university can offer a maximum of three bachelor's degree programs and ten PG programs online.
- The UGC has formulated guidelines for the admission of foreign students to these online degree courses.
According to the UGC Online Degree Policy, the duration of PG courses is of minimum two years and the duration of UG courses is of minimum three years. The e-learning approach should be implemented up to 60% of the total syllabus. For this, e-learning material should be provided. The remaining forty percent must be made available through other electronic resources (e-resources). The UGC has directed that recognized and SWAYAM portals be made available to students.
Formative, Summative approach
The UGC states that formative or continuous evaluation and summative assessment procedures should be followed to identify the talents of students enrolled in online degree courses. Semester policy or term end policy. Students should pass by giving importance to both (30% weightage for formative assessment and 70% weightage for summative assessment (semester exams)) the methods. In addition, students must be allowed to take the exams only if they have completed 75 percent of the online learning. Project reports, case studies, presentations, etc. should also be considered to identify the talents of the students. In addition, in order to conduct the tests in the online system Technology-based facilities should be provided.
Standards must be met to conduct online education
The UGC has placed special emphasis on raising quality standards in distance education courses at universities and other higher education institutes. Universities offering online degree courses should set up a special department at their headquarters called the Centre for Quality Assurance.
Regular review by senior professors and professors of the respective courses should be done.
Establishment of CIQA
Every university that offers degrees online should set up a Centre for Internal Quality Assurance (CIQA) to monitor compliance with specific standards. It should appoint an Associate Professor with the rank of Director. The Quality Assurance? Committee oversees admissions management, infrastructure, curriculum design, and other resource design and makes recommendations accordingly.
Learner Support Services
Universities offering online degrees should make learner support services available. These also need to be technology based. Students should be given the opportunity to interact directly with these.
Centre for Online Education
UGC has clarified that higher education institutes which provide admissions in online programs should specifically employ human resources. Each institute must set up a special centre (Centre for Online Education). This centre should have teaching, non-teaching and administrative staff.
According to this,
- A person with professorship on a permanent basis should be a director.
- An Associate Professor level person should be appointed as Deputy Director (e-Learning, Technical).
- An Assistant Professor level person should be recruited as Assistant Director.
- A professor or associate professor should be appointed as the program co-ordinator. The post of Course Co-ordinator should be filled.
- There should be a course mentor for every 250 students.
- Technical Manager, Associate, Assistants should oversee the management of e-content and e-modules.
Examinations in government institutes
The UGC has also made proposals for examinations to be conducted after completion of the online course. Exams should be conducted in government colleges and university affiliated colleges.
CCTV should be set up at each test centre.
Staff at the headquarters
Universities offering online degrees should also employ full-time staff at their headquarters. A Deputy Registrar, an Assistant Registrar, a Section Officer, two Assistants, two Computer Operators and two Multi-Tasking Staff should be appointed.
These universities must notify for admission to online degree programs. Based on the merit, seats should be filled, after online counselling. Fees and other facilities must also be notified in advance.
Opportunity to change institute
Students enrolled in a university in any of the courses (UG or PG) are also given the opportunity to transfer to another institute in the middle of the program. As a result students who face problems in terms of teaching or other subjects in a university, will have the opportunity to join another better institute in the middle.
Higher education for all
The number of drop-outs is high in the country after Intermediate. There are several socio-economic factors that contribute to this. As a solution to this drop-out problem, the UGC approved the online degree system with the intention of making higher education accessible to all.
UGC Online Degrees- Highlights
- Permission to 38 universities at national level
- Traditional and Professional Programs from UG to PG level
- Recognition to online degree certificates as same as regular degree certificates
- Admissions in January or July every year
- January session from next year