The Election Process in India
One Mark Questions
- Who conducts elections in our country?
A. The Election Commission of India conducts elections in our country.
- Classify the functions of the Election Commission of India?
- Administrative functions
- Advisory functions
- Quasi-judicial functions
- How is a political party formed?
A. A political party is formed when it has a written code of conduct and registers at the Election Commission.
- What is universal adult franchise?
A. The people who attain the age of 18 years irrespective of caste, creed, religion, gender, language etc., and having right to vote is called universal adult franchise.
- What is called the code of conduct in elections?
A. When the Election Commission announces the schedule of elections, since then the rules and regulations followed by the contesting candidates and people is called the code of conduct in elections.
- Give any two examples of malpractices in elections?
- Candidates influencing the voters either by giving money or articles of any kind.
- Political announcements targeting a caste or religion.
- Campaigning after the permitted hours.
- Casting votes in others identity.
2 Mark Questions
- Mention the duties of a returning officer?
- To conduct and monitor elections in every constituency, an officer is appointed and called as the returning officer.
- The returning officer scrutinizes the nominations and announces the eligible contesting candidates list.
- Distinguish between general, midterm and by-elections?
General elections: General elections are conducted for every 5 years at national/state level.
- Midterm elections: If the elections are held before the completion of 5-year tenure for either State Assembly or Parliament are called midterm elections.
By-elections: The elections are conducted for one or more vacancies are termed as by-elections.
- Suggest some measures to be taken to conduct free and fare elections?
- To ensure that no voter is left out, electoral rolls are revised before each election.
- The Election Commission will exercise control over all the functionaries connected with the conduct of election.
- In case, a candidate has spent more money than the maximum limit fixed, his election should be declared null and void.
- To check bogus voting and impersonation, identity cards have been issued to the voters
- Write two slogans on right to vote?
- Your vote- your voice.
- A strong house built by strong voters.
4 Marks Questions
- Mention any four rules and regulations of the code conduct in elections?
- The contesting candidates and political parties shall not be making any statements pertaining to caste, creed, religion, or regional while criticizing other parties.
- No personal comments shall be made that are not relevant to political life.
- No political announcements targeting a caste or religion shall be made.
- No candidate shall influence the voters either by giving cash or any articles.
- No voter shall be used to cast his/her vote in other's identity.
- What are the functions of the Election Commission?
- Ensuring free and fair elections.
- Demarcation of constituencies and their territorial limit as per the delimitation commission.
- Announcing the schedule of elections
- Receiving nomination, scrutinizing and finalizing the polling dates.
- Giving recognition to the political parties and allotting symbols.
- Framing and implementing the code of conduct followed by the parties during the elections.
- Appointing of electoral officials.
- Advise the President and the Governors if required in the matter of elections.
- Write any four rules and regulations that should be followed by the ruling party at the turn of elections?
- The ruling party leaders shall not misuse the power.
- Their official visits of the party in government and party political related visits shall not be mingled.
- They should not use government vehicles for campaigning.
- No advertisement of the government schemes shall be given either in print media or in electronic media.
- After the election notification is issued the ruling government shall not release any grants, make payments and issue new schemes.
Multiple Choice Questions
- Election model code of conduct comes into effect?
a) Once the schedule of election is announced
b) On the day of polling
c) At the time of filling nominations
d) After the declaration of results
- Mid term elections are held for-
a) For every 5 years
b) Before the completion of 5 years
c) One or more vacancies
d) For every 2½ years
- At the district level, the Chief Election Officer is-
a) District Educational Officer
b) District Medical Officer
c) Commissioner of Police
d) District Collector
- This is not a function of the Election Commission?
a) Preparing electoral rolls
b) Announcing the schedule of election
c) Advising the Chief Minister
d) Advises the President and the Governors
- Universal adult franchise means-
a) The right to vote, who obtain 20 years of age
b) The right to vote, without any discrimination, who attain the age of 18 years
c) The right to vote, who are educated
d) The right to vote, who attain 30 years age
- Find out the correct statement
a) NOTA is symbol of Election Commission
b) NOTA is a part of the freedom of expression
c) NOTA effects winning capability of the candidates
d) NOTA effects loosing capability of the candidates
1) a; 2) b; 3) d; 4) c; 5) b; 6) b;
Published date : 01 Jul 2021 11:36AM