KVPY exam on January 9th; Here are the benefits and preparation tips!!
Selection for KVPY scholarship is through a written test conducted every year nationwide. Selected students will be awarded scholarships from Bachelor's degree to Post-Graduation. The exam will be held on January 9 next month.
For KVPY Scholarship, in addition to qualifying in the written test and interview, admission to any of the B.Sc., BS, B.Stat, B.Math courses is mandatory. Similarly, students enrolled in integrated M.Sc. / MS courses are also eligible.
Benefits of KVPY
Scholarship: Students selected for KVPY will be given a stipend of Rs. 5,000 / - per month for the first three years i.e. at degree level. In addition, an annual grant of Rs. 20,000 will be given. For the last two years i.e. PG level M.Sc or 4–5 Year Integrated M.Sc / MS they will get a stipend of Rs.7000 / - per month. In addition, an annual grant of Rs 28,000 will be provided.
Summer Camp: Special identity cards will be given to those selected for this program. They can utilize the facilities provided in national laboratories, university libraries and laboratories. Those selected for these fellowships will have summer camps at prestigious institutions such as IITs during the summer holidays. Experts will address various topics related to science. Many aspects of science are shown experimentally, as well as conducting meetings with scientists. In addition, career opportunities in science are described.
KVP Exam Pattern:
SA Stream: Students who have passed the tenth class and are eligible to join the intermediate in the upcoming academic year fall under this stream. The SA Stream exam is conducted in two parts of 80 questions for 100 marks. 60 questions from Part-A and 20 questions from Part-B.
- Part-A: 15 questions from Maths-15, Physics-15, Chemistry-15, Biology. Each correct answer earns one mark. 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Part-B: 5 questions each on Maths-5, Physics-5, Chemistry-5 and Biology. Two marks will be awarded for each correct answer. Also 0.5 marks will be deducted from the marks allotted for the wrong answer.
Stream SS / SB test
Stream SX: It is for those who are joining Intermediate (science subject) programme second year in the upcoming academic year and planning to join basic science or integrated PG programme in the next year.
Stream SB: It is for those who will finish intermediate in Science subjects in the academic year and got admission into UG or integrated PG programmes.
The Stream SS / SB exam is conducted in 2 parts for 160 marks. 80 questions from Part-A and 40 questions from Part-B.
KVPY Syllabus Analysis:
- Physics: Refraction, Application in Daily Life, Loss and Motion, Thermodynamics, Optics, Dual Radiation and Matter, Nuclei, Electronic Devices etc. are important.
- Chemistry: Periodic Classification of Elements, Classification of Elements in Properties, Environmental Chemistry, Metals and Non-Metals, General Principles and Processes of Isolation, Block And haloarenes.
- Biology: Genetic Evolution, Our Environment, Life Process, Human Psychology, Biotechnology and Its Applications, Principle of Inheritance and Variation, Molecular Basis of Inheritance.
- Mathematics: Quadratic Equations, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics Probability, Real Number, Analytical Geometry into Two Dimension, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Evolution of Integrals.
KVPY Preparation Tips:
Practice as many questions as possible. Check previous questions and analyse the topics and type of questions. Focus more on revision when the exam is nearing. Allocate a little more time to the weak points during the revision. Special attention should be paid to formulas, their derivatives, equations, etc. Attempt mock tests. It brings clarity on strengths and weaknesses.