All About Norovirus; Check Symptoms, Prevention and Treatment!!
Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. People of all ages can get infected and sick with norovirus. People with norovirus illness can shed billions of norovirus particles. And only a few virus particles can make other people sick. It is possible to develop immunity to (protection against) specific types. But, it is not known exactly how long immunity lasts. This may explain why so many people of all ages get infected during norovirus outbreaks. Also, whether you are susceptible to norovirus infection is also determined in part by your genes.
How Norovirus Spreads?
- Having direct contact with an infected person
- Consuming contaminated food or water
- Touching contaminated surfaces and then putting your unwashed hands in your mouth
- It spreads through contaminated food, water, surfaces and through sick people.
The Symptoms of Norovirus
The most common symptoms of norovirus are diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain. Other symptoms include fever, headache, body aches. Children who are dehydrated may cry with few or no tears and be unusually sleepy or fussy.
- Practice proper hand hygiene. You can help protect yourself and others from norovirus by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water and following other simple prevention tips.
- Carefully wash fruits and vegetables before preparing and eating them. Be aware that noroviruses are relatively resistant to heat. They can survive temperatures as high as 145°F.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces.
- Wash laundry thoroughly
How To Treat Norovirus
There is no specific medicine to treat people with norovirus illness. If you have norovirus illness, you should drink plenty of liquids to replace fluid lost from vomiting and diarrhea. This will help prevent dehydration.