UNICEF’s “State of the World's Children Report 2019”
As per UNICEF's State of the World's Children Report 2019, the Under 5 Mortality Rate in India is 37 per 1,000 live births against Global average of 39 per 1,000 live births in 2018, which translates to more than 8 lakhs under 5 deaths in India.
As per the Sample Registration System (SRS) 2010-13 report of Registrar General of India, major causes of child mortality in India are:
- Prematurity & low birth weight (29.8%)
- Pneumonia (17.1%)
- Diarrheal diseases (8.6%)
- Other non-communicable diseases (8.3%)
- Birth asphyxia & birth trauma (8.2%)
- Injuries (4.6%)
- Congenital anomalies (4.4%)
- Ill-defined or cause unknown (4.4%)
- Acute bacterial sepsis and severe infections (3.6%)
- Fever of unknown origin (2.5%)
- All Other Remaining Causes (8.4%).
As per the UNICEF 2019 report, Globalization, urbanization, inequities, humanitarian crises and climate shocks are driving unprecedented negative changes in the nutrition situation of children around the world.
Published date : 12 Feb 2020 02:38PM