V-Dem Institute – Democracy Report 2022
- V-Dem Institute has released a report titled “Democracy Report 2022: Autocratisation Changing Nature”.
- According to the latest report of the V-Dem Institute, India is among the top 10 autocratising countries of the world along with El Salvador, Turkey, and Hungary. The report also indicated that there will be a further decline in democracy in India. Since last year, India is being classified as an ‘electoral autocracy’. Thus, India is in the category of the bottom 40% to 50% of countries.
- The report highlights that a new wave of democratization is being witnessed in 15 countries. On the other hand, 32 countries are reeling under autocratisation.
- In the Asia-Pacific region, the last decade witnessed a worsening of autocratisation in India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Thailand, and the Philippines.
- The report noted that the autocratisation is driven by anti-pluralist parties in six countries: Brazil, Hungary, India, Poland, Serbia, and Turkey.
- According to the report, the anti-pluralist parties lack a commitment to the democratic process, disrespect fundamental rights of the minorities, encourage demonization of the political opponents, accept political violence in the country and also use the government power to push forward their autocratic agendas.
Published date : 17 Mar 2022 06:11PM