A book that gives information about every branch of knowledge is called____
1. I never asked you to do it. The interrogative form of this sentence is____
1) Did I never ask you to do it?
2) Did I ever asked you to do it?
3) Did I ever ask you to do it?
4) Did I never asked you to do it?
2. Let us have a heart to heart talk to solve this problem. The meaning of the underlined phrase is….
1) good talk
2) emotional talk
3) frank talk
4) loving talk
3.Which of the following sentences is grammatically incorrect?
1) Many an opportunity is missed by negligence.
2) Not only Mahatma Gandhi but all his followers in the march was arrested.
3) A team of actors is going to give a demonstration.
4) Vani is one of those students who are always punctual.
4. I know more about cricket than you do. The positive degree of this sentence is…
1) You don't know about cricket more than me.
2) You don't know about cricket as much as I do.
3) You don't know about cricke t as I do.
4) I don't know about cricket as much as you know.
5. Do you expect your parents to come from Hyderabad today? The passive form of this sentence is____
1) Did your parents come today from Hyderabad?
2) Are your parents expecting by you to come from Hyderabad today?
3) Are your parents expected to come today from Hyderabad?
4) Were your parents expected to come today from Hyderabad?
6. Fill the blanks in Column A with those of prepositions given in ColumnB.
1. Deepthi is not able to distinguish good ____ evil.
2. Death does not distinguish ____ the rich and the poor.
3. Sir Ronald Ross is distinguished ____ his medical research.
4. Punch is distinguished ____ his hunchback.
Now choose the correct option.
1) 1-S, 2-Q, 3-P, 4-R
2) 1-Q, 2-S, 3-P, 4-R
3) 1-S, 2-P, 3-Q, 4-R
4) 1-Q, 2-R, 3-S, 4-P
7. They gave Vivek a cash award, in lieu of the promised prize package. The meaning of the underlined phrase is____
1) in spite of
2) in place of
3) despite of
4) in addition to.
8. The roads of Delhi are wider ____Shimla. Choose the correct alternative to fill in the blanks.
2) than that of
3) than those of
4) then that of
9.Choose the right alternative among the following sentences which has an incorrect usage of conjunction.
1) No sooner had we started the experiment than there was a power cut and we had no electricity.
2) I will be your friend whether you stay here or move away.
3) I want to go either to Disney world or to Sea World.
4) They had two books but neither work.
10.Neither of the friends has passed the test____Add a suitable question tag.
1) has they?
2) hasn't they?
3) have they?
4) haven't they?
11. Those who go on to someone else's land without the owner's permission are called____
12. My father, ____, prefers to take very long walks with his friends. Choose the correct relative clause.
1) which is in his seventies
2) whose is in his seventies
3) whom is in his seventies
4) who is in his seventies
13. Choose the suffix that can be used to change a Noun into an Adjective.
1) - ness
2) - ship
3) - hood
4) – ful
14. Look at the spelling of the words given below:
Now choose the correct option given below.
1) Only R is incorrect.
2) Only P is incorrect.
3) Only P and R are incorrect.
4) All are incorrect.
15.If Geetha ____ money, she ____ a suitable present for me. Choose the correct set of verb forms that fits the blanks respectively.
1) have had , should have bought
2) had had , will have bought
3) had, would have bought
4) had had, would have bought
16. It's high time you ____ your preparation for the public examination.
Choose the correct verb that fits the context.
2) will start
4) had started
17. A sentence with one main clause and one or more coordinate clauses is:
1) a simple sentence
2) a compound sentence
3) a complex sentence
4) a compound complex sentence
18. Which of the following phrases given below the sentence should replace the underlined phrases to make the sentence grammatically correct?
Between hatred and forgiveness, the latter is well.
1) the latter is better
2) the better is later
3) the latter is best
4) the later is better
19. Read the following sentences.
a. The secretary and treasurer was present there.
b.The secretary and the treasurer were present there.
Now choose correct option about the above two sentences.
1) Only (a) is correct
2) Only (b) is correct.
3) Both (a) and (b) are correct.
4) Both (a) and (b) are incorrect.
20 "Dear bird", she said, stroking its feathers, "have you come to comfort me in my sorrow?"
1) Stroking the bird's feathers, she asked affectionately that she had come to comfort her in her sorrow.
2) Stroking the bird's feathers, she has told it affectionately whether it had come to comfort in her sorrow.
3) Stroking the bird's feathers, she asked affectionately whether they had come to comfort her in her sorrow.
4) Stroking the bird's feathers, she asked affectionately whether it had come to comfort her in her sorrow.
21. What he says and what he does ____ Choose the appropriate phrase to fill in the blank.
1) do not agree
2) does not agree
3) not agree
4) is not agreed
22.Rustam is the ____ of my uncle's five sons. Choose the appropriate word to fill in the blank.
23. Identify the latter part of the sentence given. Lavanya asked him in surprise ____.
1) if he had really read all the books.
2) if this is what his mother buys for him.
3) if the cafe is still open.
4) whether I have already read his article.
24. Identify the correctly punctuated sentence.
1) I shall not oppose your design; I cant however approve of it.
2) I shall not oppose your design, I cannot, however, approve of it.
3) I shall not oppose your design; I cannot, however, approve of it.
4) I shall not oppose your design: I cannot, however, approve of it.
25. The appeal of the victims for the transfer of the cases related to riots to some other States ____ accepted. Fill in the blank with correct form of verb.
1) has been
2) Have been
3) are being
4) were being
26. Manju, who is my classmate, likes to play chess. The underlined part is___
1) a noun clause
2) a conditional clause
3) a defining relative clause
4) a non-defining relative clause
27. Identify the part that has an error.
Unless(a)/ he will not understand the concept(b)/ he will not be able to solve the questions.(c)/ No error(d)
28. A book that gives information about every branch of knowledge is called____
29. ____little information I could get was not enough. Fill in the blank with suitable article.
4) No article is required
30. Identify the sentence that is correctly punctuated.
1) At midnight, however gopi was aroused by the tramp of horses hoofs in the yard.
2) At midnight, however, Gopi was aroused by the tramp of horses hoofs in the yard.
3) At midnight, however Gopi was aroused by the tramp of horse's hoofs in the yard.
4) At midnight, however, Gopi was aroused by the tramp of horse's hoofs in the yard.
31. I did not buy it because I did not like the look of it. The underlined part of the sentence is a/an____
1) Noun Clause
2) Adjective Clause
3) Noun Phrase
4) Adverb Clause
32. We met a girl carrying a basket of flowers. The underlined word is____
1) an infinitive
2) a participle
3) a gerund
4) a finite verb
33. Choose the correctly spelt word from the following:
34. Jyothi found it hard to withstand the stress. The meaning of the "withstand' is____
3) Give up
35. A crowd gathered quickly when the announcements were being made. The antonym of the underlined word is____
36. Fill in the blanks with appropriate Articles.
____ judge in him, prevailed upon ____ father and he sentenced his son to death.
1) a, a
2) A, the
3) The, the
4) The, an
37.A ____ of shouting people overturned cars, set fire to shops and attacked a police station. Choose the suitable word to fill in the blank.
38. The way was long, the wind was cold, and the minstrel was infirm and old. The underlined words are____
39. Choose the sentence with correct order of adjectives.
1) She saw a fat bald middle -aged man.
2) She saw a middle-aged fat bald man.
3) She saw a bald, fat, middle- aged man.
4) She saw a middle aged man fat bald.