National Crisis Management Committee meets to review preparedness for impending cyclonic storm ‘Michaung’ in Bay of Bengal
- The National Crisis Management Committee, NCMC under Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba met to review preparedness of State governments and Central Ministries and Departments for impending cyclone ‘Michaung’ in Bay of Bengal.
- Director General, India Meteorological Department briefed the Committee about the current status of cyclonic storm ‘Michaung’
- The Cabinet Secretary emphasized that states concerned must take up all necessary precautionary measures in the backdrop of the latest forecast by IMD.
- Chief Secretaries of Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Puducherry and Special Chief Secretary, Revenue and Disaster Management, Andhra Pradesh apprised the committee of the preparatory measures being taken. The committee was informed that low lying areas have been identified and evacuation of people to relief centers has started. Alerts are being issued in local languages through SMS and weather bulletins. Fishermen and vessels at sea have returned to safety. Essential commodities have been stocked. Local administration has deployed sufficient number of officials for 24/7 supervision and monitoring of the situation.
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has deployed 21 teams in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Puducherry and eight additional teams have been kept in reserve. Rescue and relief teams of the Coast Guard, Army and Navy along with ships and aircrafts have been kept on standby.
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
What is the National Crisis Management Committee?
About National Crisis Management Committee:
- It is a committee set up by the Government of India in the wake of a natural calamity for effective coordination and implementation of relief measures and operations.
- It is headed by Cabinet Secretary.
- On the constitution of such a committee, the Agriculture Secretary shall provide all necessary information to and seek directions.
- It has been constituted in the Cabinet Secretariat.
- Oversee the Command, Control and Coordination of the disaster response.
- Give direction to the Crisis Management Group (CMG) as deemed necessary.
- Cabinet Secretary (Chairperson).
- Secretaries of Ministries / Departments and agencies with specific Disaster management responsibilities.
Published date : 04 Dec 2023 04:01PM