Climate Change Performance Index 2023: India ranked 8th in the list
- The Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2023 released which was published by three environmental nongovernmental organizations viz. Germanwatch, NewClimate Institute and the Climate Action Network (CAN) International.
- India rose two spots to rank eighth out of 63 countries in the Climate Change Performance Index 2023 (CCPI). In the Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Energy Use categories, the country was rated “high”. In the Climate Policy and Renewable Energy categories, it earned a “medium” rating.
- In the overall standings, no country ranked first, second or third on the index. Denmark, with a score of 79.61, ranked fourth, followed by Sweden with 73.28 points. India scored 67.35 points.
- India’s ranking in categories: In GHGs, it ranked 9 , Renewable Energy (24 ), and Energy Use (9 ), and on Climate Policy (8 ).
- It should be noted that India ranked at top in the grouping of top 10 emitters. It is followed by Germany and Japan at 2 and 3 positions of this grouping.
- The worst performers in the overall ranking are Iran, Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan. They are particularly weak in renewables and heavily reliant on oil.
- Saudi Arabia is the country with the highest per capita GHG emissions among the G20 nations.
October Weekly Current Affairs (National) Bitbank: Which state has become the first digitally literate gram panchayat?
>> Download Current Affairs PDFs Here
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
Published date : 18 Nov 2022 04:03PM