28th September, 2022 Current Affairs
CBI raids nationwide against Child Abuse material under Operation Megha Chakra
- CBI hunts for Child Sexual Abuse Material Online Circulation Cases in 20 States & UTs. As part of Operation Megha Chakra, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) searched 56 locations across 20 States and Union Territories in relation to cases of the internet distribution of child sexual abuse material.
- Cloud storage was used to perform searches against sellers of Child Sexual Abuse Material on the Internet after obtaining input from Interpol and intelligence gathered during Operation Carbon last year.
- In November 2021, the CBI carried out Operation Carbon, which involved conducting raids at 76 different locations around the nation and making multiple arrests.
Vinayak Godse to be new CEO of Data Security Council of India
- Data Security Council of India (DSCI), a leading industry organisation founded by NASSCOM, promoted senior vice president Vinayak Godse and named him the organization’s new CEO.
- Vinayak Godse will succeed Rama Vedashree, who oversaw Data Security Council of India (DSCI) for nearly six years. Vedashree also served on the Justice BN Srikrishna committee, which was charged with developing a model for the nation’s Personal Data Protection Bill.
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
Giorgia Meloni elected as First woman PM of Italy
- Giorgia Meloni looks set to become Italy’s first woman prime minister at the head of its most right-wing government since World War Two after leading a conservative alliance to triumph at the election.
- Meloni will take over from Prime Minister Mario Draghi, the former head of the European Central Bank, who pushed Rome to the centre of EU policy-making during his 18-month stint in office, forging close ties with Paris and Berlin.
- The Italian far-right leader Meloni party came top in general elections. Leading the next government, she will work for the betterment of all Italians.
India, Netherlands formalize bilateral Fast-Track Mechanism between both countries
- India and the Netherlands have signed a joint statement to formalize the bilateral Fast-Track Mechanism between the two countries. The Joint statement aims to facilitate a platform for the Dutch companies operating in India, for faster resolution of investment cases.
- It is expected that the mechanism will strengthen and assist bilateral efforts to increase mutual investment activities, and also support and develop business cooperation between companies in both countries.
- Commerce and Industry Ministry said, the Netherlands is the fourth largest foreign direct investor in India.
- The cumulative flow of FDI from the Netherlands to India reached around 42.3 billion US dollars between April 2000 and June 2022.
Donetsk and Lugansk voted to join Russia in referendums
- In Ukraine, Donetsk and Lugansk, along with Kherson Region and part of Zaporizhzhia Region in southern Ukraine have voted to join Russia in referendums that were held between September 23 and 27.
- The election officials said, 99 percent of ballots cast in Donetsk and 98 percent in the Luhansk region voted in favour of joining the Russian Federation. They said, in the Zaporizhzhia region 93 percent were in favour of annexation, with the Kherson region giving the lowest pro-annexation tally at 87 percent.
- Ukranian President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the referendums in the four regions.
- The US and NATO have also condemned referendums in eastern Ukraine as voting concluded.
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, the West would never recognize the pro-annexation votes. He said, the US will impose additional swift and severe costs on Russia" for holding the referendums.
- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg in a tweet said that he spoke with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and told him that the military alliance is unwavering in its support for Ukraine's sovereignty and right to self-defense.
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman named as Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia
- In Saudi Arabia, King Salman bin Abdulaziz named his son and heir Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman as the Prime Minister of the kingdom.
- According to a royal decree shown on Tuesday, King Salman also promoted his second son Prince Khalid from deputy Defense Minister to Defense Minister. The 86-year-old king will still preside over the Cabinet meetings he attends. The king, who took power in 2015 has been in failing health and was hospitalized several times in recent years.
- The prince, Mohammed bin Salman was previously Defense Minister in Saudi Arabia's government.
- He is also a leading figure in the kingdom's "Vision 2030" plans to transform the country's economy and energy infrastructure.
- Mr. Salman has also sought to tout social reforms such as allowing women to drive cars under some conditions.
Chandigarh Airport renamed Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport on his 115th birth anniversary
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman named the Chandigarh International Airport as Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport on the occasion of 115th birth anniversary of Shaheed e Azam Bhagat Singh.
- Last Sunday in his Mann Ki Baat programme, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the renaming of the Chandigarh International Airport after the name of Shaheed Bhagat Singh and paid tribute to him.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
DRDO conducts successful tests of Very Short Range Air Defence System Missiles
- Defence Research and Development Organization has conducted two successful test flights of Very Short Range Air Defence System missiles. The test flight was conducted at the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur, Odisha .
- The Very Short Range Air Defence System is a Man Portable Air Defence System, designed and developed by DRDO in collaboration with Indian industry partners. The missile is designed to neutralize low-altitude aerial threats at short ranges. The design of the missile including the launcher has been highly optimized to ensure easy portability.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has complimented and appreciated the efforts of DRDO and industry partners.
- The new missile equipped with modern technologies will give a further technological boost to the Armed Forces. Chairman of DRDO Dr Samir V Kamatal also congratulated the entire team for this tremendous success.
Indian-origin Suella Braverman won first Queen Elizabeth II award
- Britain’s Indian-origin Home Secretary, Suella Braverman has been named winner of the first-ever Queen Elizabeth II Woman of the Year award at a ceremony in London.
- The 42-year-old barrister, who was appointed to the Cabinet earlier this month by British Prime Minister Liz Truss, said it was the “honour of her life” to take on the new role at the Asian Achievers Awards (AAA) 2022 ceremony, dedicated to the memory of the late monarch who passed away recently.
- Braverman was previously Attorney General between 2020-2022.
- Sue-Ellen Cassiana “Suella” Braverman KC is a British politician and barrister serving as Home Secretary since 6 September 2022. She was the Attorney General for England and Wales from 2020 to 2022. She has been a member of parliament for Fareham in Hampshire since 2015.
Asha Parekh to be bestowed with 52nd Dadasaheb Phalke award
- Veteran actress Asha Parekh has been declared the recipient of the 2020 Dadasaheb Phalke award, making her the 52nd awardee of the honour. Union Minister for Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Anurag Thakur announced her name.
- She worked in more than 95 films and was the chairperson of the Central Board of Film Certification from 1998-2001.
- She is also a recipient of the Padma Shri, awarded to her by the Government of India in 1992 for services to cinema.