9th December, 2023 Current Affairs
Canada's Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Marc Miller announces significant reforms
- Canada's Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Marc Miller has announced significant reforms to Canada's study permit requirements.The move aims at enhancing the financial preparedness of international students.
- The changes are set to take effect on January 1, 2024. It also includes a substantial increase in the cost-of-living financial requirement for study permit applicants.
- The cost-of-living criteria for a single candidate has stayed at 10,000 US Dollars since the early 2000s. But now that the cost of living is rising, the cut off will be increased to 20,635 dollars.
- The purpose of this adjustment is to make sure that international students are appropriately prepared for the financial challenges of life in Canada. It will be revised annually with Statistics Canada's low-income cut-off (LICO). The move is not only a response to the rising cost of living but also addresses the challenges faced by international students, such as finding suitable housing. The changes are in line with the government's pledge to shield students from financial exploitation and vulnerability.
Dubai Inaugurates World's Largest Concentrated Solar Power Project, amidst COP28
- Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, inaugurated the fourth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park, marking the launch of the world's largest concentrated solar power (CSP) project. The 950 MW phase, constructed at an investment of AED15.78 billion, utilizes three hybrid technologies: 600MW from a parabolic basin complex, 100MW from a CSP tower, and 250MW from photovoltaic solar panels. The project features the tallest solar tower in the world, at 263.126 metres, and the largest thermal energy storage capacity with a capacity of 5,907 megawatt hours , according to the Guinness World Records.
- The project covers 44 square kilometers and features 70,000 heliostats tracking the sun's movement. The Molten Salt Receiver (MSR) atop the solar power tower is a crucial element, converting solar radiation into thermal energy. Anticipated benefits include providing clean energy to approximately 320,000 residences, reducing carbon emissions by about 1.6 million tonnes annually.The MSR contains over 1,000 thin tubes that enable the absorption of sun rays and their transfer to the molten salt within these tubes. This project will provide approximately 320,000 residences with clean and sustainable energy. It will reduce carbon emissions by about 1.6 million tonnes annually, enhancing Dubai’s position as a leading global hub in clean, renewable energy and climate action.
- Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum emphasized the UAE's commitment to sustainability, aligning with COP28's climate action goals. The project is a key component of the UAE's Net Zero by 2050 Strategy and contributes significantly to global efforts against climate change.
- With a current capacity of 2,627MW, the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park is instrumental in achieving the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 and the Dubai Net Zero Carbon Emissions Strategy 2050, aiming for 100% clean energy production by 2050.
India is looking at becoming the 3rd largest economy in world
- India is looking at becoming the 3rd largest economy in the world and the vision is to create India as a manufacturing base, technology hub and innovation center of the world.
- India is looking at an exponential growth journey. The vision is that the services sector will engage and grow with the best of technology and modern thoughts across the world.
- Incredible India is slowly turning into an inevitable India.
- All countrymen are committed to make India a developed nation and are looking at a 10 times growth to become a 35 trillion dollar economy by 2047.
- India is becoming self-reliant, Atmanirbhar Bharat- a Bharat that is not only vocal for local but a Bharat which goes global. A Bharat which looks at modern technology and innovation empowering the future.
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP