Gita Gopinath becomes IMF First Deputy Managing Director
The Indian American, Gita Gopinath has become the first Deputy Managing Director of International Monetary Fund. She is the first Indian to take up the top role in the organisation. First Deputy Managing Director is the second top post in IMF next to the Managing Director.
- Gita Gopinath was the first female Chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund.
- She was born in Kolkata in 1971. She completed her graduation in University of Delhi and her masters in Washington University and PhD in Princeton University.
- In 2018, she was appointed the Chief Economist of the IMF.
- She named the world wide recession of 2020 due to COVID-19 as “The Great Lockdown”.
- In 2021, she was named the First Managing Director of IMF. It is number 2 position in the organisation.
Published date : 03 Dec 2021 06:22PM