BRO’s Atal Tunnel Receives ‘Best Infrastructure Project’ Award
- The Border Roads Organization (BRO) engineering marvel, Atal Tunnel, built-in Rohtang in Himachal Pradesh, received the Indian Building Congress (IBC) ‘Best Infrastructure Project’ award in New Delhi. More than thirty state-of-the-art infrastructure projects were nominated for the award. The IBC jury selected the strategic tunnel as the ‘Best Project for Excellence in Built Environment’ in 2021.
- The tunnel, built using the New Austrian Tunnelling Method (NATM), was dedicated to the nation by Prime Minister NarendraModi on October 3, 2020.
- It is equipped with a semi-transverse ventilation system, where large fans separately circulate air throughout the tunnel. For evacuation during emergencies, an emergency tunnel has been integrated into the tunnel cross-section beneath the main carriageway.
- Fires inside the tunnel will be controlled within an area of 200 meters, and fire hydrants are provided at specific locations throughout the tunnel.
- Pollution sensors continuously monitor the air quality in the tunnel, and if the air quality is below the desired level, fresh air is injected into the tunnel via two heavy-duty fans on each side of the tunnel.
Published date : 02 May 2022 06:14PM