Ramsar sites: 11 more Indian wetlands have got Ramsar recognition
- India has added 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites to make a total of 75 such sites covering an area of 13,26,677 hectares in the country. 75 Ramsar Sites in 75th Year of Independence India. The 11 new sites designated as Ramsar sites included: four sites in Tamil Nadu, three in Odisha, two in Jammu and Kashmir and one each in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- From 1982 to 2013, a total of 26 Indian sites were added to the list of Ramsar sites, However, during 2014 to 2022, the country has added 49 new wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites. During this year itself, a total of 28 sites have been declared as Ramsar sites.
Weekly Current Affairs (Sports) Bitbank: Who become India's first weightlifter to win a gold at the IWF Youth World Championships?
>> Download Current Affairs PDFs Here
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
The 11 Indian wetlands which have been designated as new Ramsar sites:
- Tampara Lake in Odisha.
- Hirakud Reservoir in Odisha.
- Ansupa Lake in Odisha.
- YashwantSagar in Madhya Pradesh.
- Chitrangudi Bird Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- SuchindramTheroor Wetland Complex in Tamil Nadu.
- Vaduvur Bird Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu0
- Kanjirankulam Bird Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- Thane Creek in Maharashtra.
- Hygam Wetland Conservation Reserve in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Shallbugh Wetland Conservation Reserve in Jammu and Kashmir.
Published date : 16 Aug 2022 05:29PM