Australia’s Great Barrier Reef TO be listed as a World Heritage Site
- UN panel has recommended that Australia’s Great Barrier Reef should be listed as a World Heritage site that is in danger. The UN also informed that the world’s biggest coral reef ecosystem was significantly impacted by climate change and the warming of oceans.
- Frequent bleaching events are threatening the reef, including four over the last seven years and the first during a La Nina phenomenon.
- A report by UNESCO informed that the resilience of the Reef to recover from climate change impacts is substantially compromised.
- The report was expected to be released ahead of the UNESCO World Heritage committee meeting however it was postponed due to the Russia-Ukraine war.
- Australian Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek said that the government would push UNESCO to not list the reef as endangered because climate change was threatening all coral reefs across the world.
- The Australian government announced a billion-dollar package to protect the reef in January.
October Weekly Current Affairs (Economy) Bitbank: Which company has developed India's first aluminium freight train rake?
>> Download Current Affairs PDFs Here
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
Published date : 30 Nov 2022 06:07PM