29th May, 2023 Current Affairs
India gets a New Parliament Building
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today dedicated the new Parliament House to the nation. Mr.Modi also installed the Sengol (Sceptre) in the new Parliament House.
- This is a temple of Indian democracy that gives a message of India’s resolution to the world.The new Parliament building connects planning to reality, policy to realization, willpower to execution, and sankalp to siddhi. It will witness the sunrise of Aatmanirbhar Bharat and will see the realization of a Viksit Bharat.This new building is an example of the coexistence of ancient and modern.
- New India is realizing new goals and paving new ways.There is a new energy, new zeal, new enthusiasm, new thinking and a new journey. There are new visions, new directions, new resolutions and a new trust.
- The world is looking towards India’s determination, its citizens’ vigour and the life of human power in India with respect and hope. He said, when India moves forward, the world moves forward.
- The new Parliament House will invoke the development of the world from the development of India.
- Referring to the establishment of sacred Sengol, the Prime Minister said that in the great Chola empire, Sengol was seen as a symbol of the path of service duty and nation. He said under the guidance of Rajaji and Adheenam, this Sengol became the sacred symbol of the transfer of power. Sengol will keep on inspiring Parliamentarians during the proceedings of the House
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to attend swearing-in ceremony of Nigeria’s President-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will attend the swearing-in ceremony of Nigeria’s President-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu at Eagle Square in Abuja today.
- He is on a three-day visit to Nigeria. His visit will further strengthen the India-Nigeria bilateral relations. This is the first-ever visit of an Indian Defence Minister to Nigeria.
- This visit will be an important landmark in building strong bonds of friendship between the two countries.
- Considering the growing defence cooperation between India and Nigeria, senior officers of Ministry of Defence and top leadership of important Defence PSUs have accompanied Mr Rajnath Singh.
- They will hold meetings with the representatives from the Nigerian industry and the Armed Forces to identify the equipment and platforms, through which the Indian defence industry can support the country’s requirements.
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
Turkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdogan wins Presidential election in runoff vote
- In Turkiye, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has won the presidential election, extending his rule to a third decade. Erdogan defeated opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu in runoff vote yesterday.
- With 99.43 percent of the votes counted, preliminary official results announced by Turkiye’s Supreme Election Council (YSK) showed Erdogan winning with 52.14 percent of the votes. Kilicdaroglu received 47.86 percent. The result is expected to be confirmed in the coming days.
- The vote seals Erdogan’s place in history as he extends his 20-year rule for a further five years.
SriLanka to offer land for development of industrial zones
- In a move to attract private investment, Sri Lanka has announced its plan to offer land for the development of industrial zones. Director General of the Board of Investment, Renuka Weerakone revealed that the Government of Sri Lanka aims to facilitate Public-Private Partnership projects, where investors can establish and operate zones without the need for the government or BOI to invest in capital infrastructure.
- This initiative comes as stability returns to the country, reigniting the interest of foreign investors. Ms. Weerakone highlighted the growing interest from several countries for investment. Additionally, there is anticipation that India, which has been the largest source of Foreign Direct Investment in Sri Lanka, may explore further investment opportunities.
- Sri Lanka has set a target of attracting between 1.5 to 2.0 billion US dollars of foreign investments in 2023, with hopes of boosting economic growth and development.
Nepal decides to allow India's SJVN Limited to develop second hydropower project in the country
- Nepal has decided to allow India's Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) Limited to develop a second hydropower project in the country.
- At present SJVN is developing a 900-MW Arun -III hydroelectric project, a run-of-river located on the Arun River in Eastern Nepal, scheduled to be completed in 2024.
- A meeting of the Investment Board Nepal (IBN) chaired by Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda approved the draft project development agreement (PDA) to be signed with India's state-owned SJVN to develop the 669-megawatt (MW) Lower Arun Hydropower project in eastern Nepal.
- The development comes days before Prime Minister Prachanda's visit to India starting Wednesday. The draft needs to be endorsed by the Council of Ministers before it gets implemented.
- The previous meeting of the IBN had approved 92.68 billion rupees investment for the development of the project.
- "The development of this 669-MW transformative project will prove to be a milestone for the socio-economic development of the country," according to the statement by the IBN.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
ISRO to launch its next-generation navigational satellite - NVS-1 from Sriharikota
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch its next-generation of navigational satellite NVS-1 at 10.42 this morning. The spacecraft is part of the Navigation with Indian Constellation (NavIC) series, which aims to provide monitoring and navigational capability.
- NVS-1, weighing about 2,232 kilograms, will be launched by GSLV F12 rocket from the second launch pad at Sathish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- NVS series of satellites will sustain and augment the NavIC with enhanced features. NavIC offers two services one is the standard position service for civilian users and the restricted service for strategic users.
- India will join the list of three other countries in the World after this mission. The satellite will be injected into a geosynchronous transfer orbit at around 20 minutes after the launch.
- Subsequent orbit-raising maneuvers will be used for taking the satellite to the intended orbit. The satellite will also carry an indigenously developed rubidium atomic clock which will be used for gps precise location timing.
Uttar Pradesh Hockey wins 13th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2023
- Uttar Pradesh Hockey won the 13th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2023 yesterday after defeating the Hockey Association of Odisha in the Final at the iconic Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium, Odisha.
- Meanwhile, Hockey Haryana beat Hockey Madhya Pradesh to finish third in the competition.
- Uttar Pradesh Hockey won the tournament by defeating the Hockey Association of Odisha 7-1. Ujjwal Pal converted three penalty corners, while Rahul Yadav , Ketan Kushwaha Rahul Rajhbar and Team Captain Ajeet Yadav each scored a goal to secure their victory.