1st July, 2022 Current Affairs
EknathShinde sworn-in as CM of Maharashtra, DevendraFadnavis as Deputy CM.
- Rebel Shiv Sena leader EknathShinde has been sworn-in as Chief Minister of Maharashtra, while BJP leader DevendraFadnavis took over as Deputy Chief Minister.
- Maharashtra Governor has asked Chief Minister Shinde to prove majority of his government in the state assembly tomorrow. Chief Minister Shinde convened the first cabinet meeting of the new government yesterday. The Cabinet decided to convene a two-day special session of the state legislature on 2nd and 3rd this month.
- The Speaker of the assembly will also be elected tomorrow. The Cabinet also reviewed the Kharif season, rain water and crop insurance in the state.
Ban on Single Use Plastic comes into force in the country from today
- Ban on manufacture, import, stocking, distribution, sale and use of identified single use plastic items has come into force from today across the country. Single-use plastic are those items that are used only once and discarded.
- The items covered under the ban include ear buds with plastic sticks, plastic sticks for balloons, plastic flags, candy sticks, ice- cream sticks, polystyrene (Thermocol) for decoration, plastic plates, plastic cups, plastic glasses and plastic cutlery.
- National and State level control rooms will be set up for checking illegal manufacture, import, stocking, distribution, sale and use of banned single for the effective enforcement of ban.
Download Sakshi Education Mobile APP
‘Partners in the Blue Pacific’: New programme started by US and Allies.
- The US and its allies, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and the United Kingdom, have launched a new initiative called Partners in the Blue Pacific for effective and efficient cooperation with the region’s small island nations in response to China’s aggressive push to expand its sphere of influence in the Pacific. After China pushed for a broad, common cooperation pact with 10 Pacific states, it became obvious the planned extent of its expanding influence and the geostrategic competition in the region increased.
- A five-nation informal framework, the PBP aims to support Pacific islands and strengthen regional political and economic ties.
- It calls for further cooperation to improve “prosperity, resilience, and security” in the Pacific. It simply means that these nations will contribute more resources through the PBP, both collectively and individually, to block China’s aggressive outreach.Members of the initiative have also promised to strengthen ties with the Pacific Islands Forum and promote regionalism in the Pacific.
- The five member countries said in a joint statement announcing the project that the forum “remains open to engaging with additional partners,” adding that “at every point, the Pacific Islands will be led and guided by us.”
- On the choice of the PBP’s lines of effort and its flagship projects, we shall look to the Pacific for advice.
- The climate issue, connectivity and transportation, marine security and protection, health, prosperity, and education are among the sectors where PBP seeks to improve cooperation.
Index of Eight Core Industries post robust growth of 18.1 per cent in May this year
- Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) have posted a robust growth of 18.1 per cent in May this year as against the 16.4 per cent in the corresponding month last year. Commerce and Industry Ministry said, the growth can be attributed to increased production in cement, coal, fertilizers and electricity industries.
- In the reported period of May 2022, the cement industry recorded the highest growth of 26.3 per cent. Coal sector jumped by over 25 per cent. Fertilizer climbed 22.8 per cent and electricity grew by 22 per cent and natural witnessed growth of seven per cent.
- ICI measures combined and individual performance of production in selected eight core industries.
ISRO successfully launches PSLV C-53 rocket carrying three Singaporean satellites from SatishDhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota
- The national space agency, Indian Space Research Organisation, has successfully launched three Singaporean satellites this evening from the spaceport at Sriharikota.
- The commercial launch was performed using the workhorse rocket PSLV-C53 that lifted off carrying the three main payloads.
- With this, the recently formed commercial arm of the Department of Space known as the New Space India Limited has successfully completed two launches, the first being the launch of the GSAT-24 communication satellite onboard the Arinave-V rocket from French Guiana.
NASA launches CAPSTONE mission to the moon.
- The NASA researchers successfully launched CAPSTONE spacecraft to the moon from New Zealand. The launch took place on Rocket Lab’s Electron rocket. Mission CAPSTONE stands for Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment. With a price tag just shy of $30 million, NASA hopes the mission will verify that a specific type of moon orbit is suitable for the lunar Gateway space station that the agency aims to launch later this decade.
- CAPSTONE is a microwave oven-sized spacecraft with the aim to study a specific type of moon orbit that will be suitable for the lunar Gateway space station that NASA aims to launch later this decade. The lunar Gateway space station will be a small space station for astronauts in orbits where they can stop before and after going to the moon’s surface.
U23 Asian Wrestling Championships 2022: Deepak Punia won bronze
- Tokyo Olympian Deepak Punia won a bronze medal after defeating MaksatSatybaldy (Kyrgyzstan) in the 86kg freestyle weight category at the U23 Asian wrestling championships 2022 in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Despite a win, it was an unimpressive result from him as the Indian contingent was expecting a better outing from the world championships silver medalist in the tournament.
- In the opening two rounds, the 23-year-old Punia lost to eventual gold medallist AzizbekFayzullaev of Uzbekistan and NurtilekKarypbaev of Kyrgyzstan. India won 25 medals in all in the U23 meet in the event, including 10 gold medals. The eight-day continental championship concluded.
Novak Djokovic becomes 1st player to win 80 matches in all four Grand Slams
- Novak Djokovic became the first player in history to win 80 matches in all four Grand Slams when he defeated Kwon Soon-woo 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 on Centre Court his 80th win in Wimbledon. By virtue of his victory, the former world no.1 tennis players has created history winning his 80th match at the Wimbledon. The six-time champion has became the first male player in the Open Era to win 80 or more match at all four grand slams.
- The Serbian could become the joint-second most succesful male singles player at the world’s oldest grand slam as a seventh title will take him level with Pete Sampras’ tally and put him just one title behind Roger Federer.
AdaniSportsline is principal sponsor of Indian Olympic Association.
- AdaniSportsline, the sports arm of the Adani Group, has inked a long-term principal sponsorship deal with the Indian Olympic Association (IOA). It will be the official partner of the Indian contingent during the upcoming Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022, the Hangzhou Asian Games 2022, and the Paris Olympic Games 2024.
- The group had earlier been associated with the Indian contingent during the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.