28th January, 2022 Current Affairs
Navy inducts two indigenously built Advanced Light Helicopters ALH-DHRUV MK III in Port Blair
- The two indigenously made Advance Light Helicopters ALH-DHRUV MK III inducted in the fleet of Andaman Nicobar Command in Port Blair.
- The induction ceremony was held at INS Utkrosh, in presence of Commander-in-Chief, Andaman Nicobar Command,Lt. Gen. Ajai Singh as chief guest.
- The Advanced Light Helicopter, ALH MK III designed & developed by Hindustan Aeronautical Limited, HAL is inducted into ANC's fleet after two decades.
- Equipped with twin powerful shakti engines, modern radar, electro-optical sensors, etc is capable to carry out missions day & night with max 14 soldiers.
- Lt. Gen Ajai Singh said that the helicopters will act as a force multiplier for far-flung islands of the east in Andaman and Nicobar Command and strengthen its operational capabilities. It will be utilized in carrying out search and rescue operations, air ambulance, maritime reconnaissance, and logistics support in these remote and geographically scattered islands.
Energy Storage System shall be integral part of power system under Electricity Act
- Power Minister RK Singh has stressed the need to establish energy storage systems on a wide scale in the country.
- Energy Storage System shall be an integral part of the power system under the Electricity Act and setting up of a standalone storage system should be made as a delicensed activity.
- The policy aims at creation of a technology-agnostic storage system across the value chain of the electricity sector.
- Energy Storage Systems will benefit Power Generating Companies, Distribution Companies of the States, Grid Operators, and other players in the electricity value chain. The Minister also stated that the curtailment of renewable energy will be penalized under the provisions of the Act.
National Drugs Regulator approves conditional Market Authorization of Covaxin and Covishield
- The Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation has now upgraded the permission for COVAXIN and Covishield from restricted use in emergency situations to normal new drug permission in adult population.
- This has been done with certain conditions. It is said that the conditions include supply for programmatic settings including registration on CoWin platform and to continue to submit safety data on a six-monthly basis.
India, Philippines signs 375 million dollar deal for the sale of BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles
- India and Philippines today signed the 375 million dollar deal for the sale of BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles to the Philippines Navy.
- Defense Secretary of Philippines DelfinLorenzana and Indian Envoy to Philippines Shambhu Kumaran signed the contract in Manila.
- The development is a major shot in the arm for India’s efforts to become an exporter of defence hardware.
- BrahMos Aerospace, an India-Russian joint venture produces the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos that can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft, or from land platforms.
Chinese PLA hand over missing Arunachal Pradesh teen to Indian Army
- In a positive manifestation of efforts of Indian Army along with all government agencies, People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China handed over Miram Taron, the missing Indian teenager from Arunachal Pradesh at Damai, Border Personnel Meeting Point, across Anjaw District of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The 17-year-old teenager, Miram Taron from Upper Siang District of Arunachal Pradesh had inadvertently strayed and went missing recently while hunting on 18th of this month.
- Indian Army immediately approached PLA on a hotline to trace and secure safe return of the boy and shared identity details of Miram with them.
Union Budget 2022-23 to be presented on Feb 1 in paperless form
- The Union Budget 2022-23 will be presented by the Union Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 1st of next month in paperless form.
- The Union Budget 2022-23 would also be available on the Mobile App after the completion of Budget presentation process.
- A Union Budget Mobile App was also launched for hassle-free access of budget documents by Members of Parliament and the public.
- The mobile App allows complete access to 14 Union Budget documents, including the Budget Speech, Annual Financial Statement commonly known as Budget, Demand for Grants.
Air India officially handed over to Tata Sons as disinvestment process completes
- Air India has been officially handed over to the Tata Sons Limited. The Tata Group takes over the management and control of the airline. The transaction covers three entities, Air India, Air India Express and AI SATS.
- It is indeed noteworthy that the disinvestment process of Air India has been brought to a successful conclusion in a time-bound manner. This proves the Government's ability and the resolve to carry out disinvestment effectively in non-strategic sectors in the future.
- The strategic disinvestment transaction of Air India successfully concluded today with transfer of 100 per cent shares of Air India to Talace Private Limited along with management control.
- Talace is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Sons. In October last year, the Government approved Air India disinvestment.
- The Air India strategic disinvestment transaction has been completed with Government receiving a consideration of two thousand 700 crore from the Talace Private Limited.
- The Olympic Gold medal winner Neeraj Chopra was honoured with the PramaVishishtSeva Medal. Neeraj Chopra brought fame to India by winning the country’s first athletic gold medal. In Tokyo Olympics, Chopra won the medal throwing javelin to 87.58 metres. Along with Neeraj Chopra, 18 other are being honoured with the award.
- Chopra was honoured with the Arjuna award in 2018. In 2020, he was awarded theVishishtSeva Medal. In 2016, Chopra was enrolled in Rajputana Rifles as Naib Subedar. He was a part of the Mission Olympics Wing that operated at the Army Sports Institute located in Pune. The Mission Olympics Wing was an initiative of the Indian Army. Under the initiative, the army identified qualified sports person from the army and trained them in different disciplines. They participated in national and international competitions.
- The award was constituted in 1960. It is awarded to peace time services. The award shall be presented posthumously. The lawfully constituted armed forces, Territorial Army, reserve forces; auxiliary and nursing officers are eligible for the award. It is equivalent to SarvottamYudhSeva Medal. It is lower to Padma Bhushan and higher to MahaVir Chakra.